Monday 29 April 2013

Things I should know.

There are lots of them, obviously.  I'm a 36 year old university educated, professionally qualified mother of four, but I don't, for example, really know what the difference is between a King Edward and a Maris Piper and which one I want when I need to impress with my roasties.

Nor, for instance, do I actually know what colour eye shadow suits me.  Or how you choose an eyeshadow in the first place.

Or what half my friends actually do for their jobs.  I mean I know what the job title is, and I know who they work for,  but what is a deal architect, or a blue sky thinker anyway?  And yes, I do really know people who have that printed on their business cards.

Or, of more immediate concern, what is the etiquette when someone gives you a present you (or in this case your six-year-old) already has?  She, obviously, wants to come clean, complain loudly, and get them to send her something else.

I want to pretend it never happened, get her to write a lovely thank you card, not mentioning the duplication at all, and put the offending item in the "present drawer".

Which of us is right? 


7 comments:

  1. You can be professionally qualified as a mother these days? No-one told me. Is there an Institute I can be a member of, and have initials after my name?

    Well, you did say you were a professionally qualified mother of four.

    And in answer to your question, you're right. Of course you're right. A mother is ALWAYS right (whether professionally qualified or not).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think a comma? You're probably right. Might have to go back and amend. Or is that against blogging etiquette?

      Delete
  2. If I'm the guilty party again, L told me about the Christmas duplication (apparently its in the present drawer ;-)) so birthday-related honesty is fine ;-)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not you. You got it spot on... Thank you letter in the post (it really is as well.)

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear it. *Breathes sigh of relief* ;-)

      I think if the small person fesses up that's just one of those things, but ultimately a thank you letter is thanks for the thought and effort, rather than the gift itself and a letter can be phrased so that you're not *actually* fibbing...

      Delete
  3. Write a thank you card for the original present and then try and exchange / sell - Bigger got a Lego set she already had for her birthday so we returned it and she had different lego but was still able to write and thank for it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where it came from.

      But either way, you don't think fessing up is the solution clearly? Me neither...

      Delete

I know. I'm sorry. I hate these word recognition, are you a robot, guff things too, but having just got rid of a large number of ungrammatical and poorly spelt adverts for all sorts of things I don't want, and especially don't want on my blog, I'm hoping that this will mean that only lovely people, of the actually a person variety, will comment.

So please do. Comments are great...